Microsoft calls Dynamics 365 Business Central a new-age software application that offers enhanced capability and an all-in-one solution to manage finances, sales and customer service. Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations, on the other hand, is a cloud-based solution to deal with end-to-end business operations such as distribution, retail, and production.
Thus, choosing between the two ERP systems in its suite of Dynamics 365 products for your business isn’t easy and requires a deep understanding of Microsoft products and ERP knowledge.
What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operations?
Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operations is widely renowned as Microsoft’s most advanced ERP solution. It is designed to streamline business process transformation efforts across market segments.
- Agile and efficient automation of operations that helps in production planning and cost management. Businesses are thus able to quickly adapt to the growing market demands and drive business growth
- Provides real-time information to sales agents, empowering them to extend immediate and personalized service across customer touchpoints.
- Being cloud-based ensures anywhere, anytime access to data, allowing CSRs to deliver uber customer experiences across channels
- Offers a sophisticated dashboard reporting and data analytics for informed business decisions
- Seamlessly integrates into Office 365 applications and other Microsoft productivity tools such as PowerApps and Flow, optimising productivity
What is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central?
Dynamics 365 Business Central is available as on-premise and online as a pure-cloud SaaS model application. Since it replaced Dynamics NAV and runs the same application code as Dynamics NAV, it seems very familiar to Dynamics NAV. However, it includes several new features and added functionality, along with a brand-new interface.
- Connects data across accounting, customer interactions, purchase, sales, and stock, providing real-time insights to help you manage your finances and make informed decisions
- Helps improve customer service, brand connect and sales by prioritizing leads based on revenue potential
- Enables timely delivery of projects and within budget constraints by tracking the projects via detailed timesheets
- Leverages built-in intelligence to forecast when and which SKUs to replenish
Although both the ERP packages from Microsoft offer functional similarities, there are some differences between them too. Understanding these differences is important to determine the ideal ERP for your business.
|Functionality||D365 for Finance & Operations||D365 Business Central|
|Company focus||Medium to large-sized multinational organisations and groups of enterprises||Small to mid-size enterprises|
|Industry focus||Distribution, Manufacturing, Professional Services, Public Sector, Retail||Distribution, Manufacturing, Professional Services|
|Capabilities and scope of integration with other D365 components||Advanced capability across finance, operations, manufacturing and supply chain. Deep integrations with CRM, HR, Talent, Customer Service, Marketing and others. Fully covers traditional back-office processes||Core capability across finance, operations, supply chain, CRM and project management. Deep integrations with service management and manufacturing|
|Scalability||Easily supports businesses processing hundreds and thousands of transactions||Easily supports businesses processing over thousands of transactions|
|Business Analytics||Embedded Power BI – rich analytical and reporting functionality||BI tools include reporting, dashboards, and ad-hoc analysis|
|Deployment||Cloud, on-premise, or hybrid||Cloud or on-premise|
While Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations has a lot more built-in ‘enterprise functionality’, Dynamics 365 Business Central offers a wide range of capabilities.
However, selecting between these two strong ERP offerings from Microsoft will depend on your business needs, goals, requirements and future vision.
If you are finding it difficult to choose between the two or still have doubts about the ideal solution for your organisation, Dynamics Square is happy to advise you on the best solution for your business needs.